Monday, June 9, 2008

Book Review - "Queen of the Road" by Doreen Orion

“Soon I couldn’t take it anymore and rather dramatically announced I was going to the back of the bus to kill myself. As always, Tim brought me back to earth. This time with the observation, “So I guess you’ll be in the bathroom, trying to slit your wrists with your electric razor?””

Considering how different Doreen Orion and her husband Tim Justice are, the fact that they are both psychiatrists and able to analyze each other may have prevented a journey to divorce court. Tim being one of the world’s most patient men probably helped too.

She, the princess from the Island of Long who is happy to stay in her pajamas and work from her bedroom all day, is a martini drinking shoe addict. He is an easygoing, beer-loving outdoorsman, dedicated to his patients and practice. When he finally convinces her to take a year off and wander around the country in a 340 SF bus, everyone is stunned – including Doreen.

This isn’t just any old bus. It’s a converted Prevost (the kind rock stars use) with a hand blown glass sink in the bathroom, rare granite countertops, cherry cabinets, stainless steel tiles, full refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer combo, a custom appliqué ceiling, merino wool window coverings, and every electronic device known to man. It’s furnished and equipped better than my house!

The shakedown trip almost does her in, but somehow he convinces her to only take 100 of her favorite pairs of shoes and head out on a journey that will cover 22,000 miles and 47 states.

Each chapter of the book starts with a new cocktail she has invented to reflect her mood on that particular leg of the journey. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Hurlatini
1 part rum
2 parts Midori
1 splash pineapple juice
1 splash sweet ‘n Sour
1 white-knuckled squeeze of lime
Pound martini shaker against emergency exit until window breaks or ingredients sufficiently mixed for tasty self-medication.

Love Me Bender
2 parts passion fruit liqueur
2 parts champagne
1 part raspberry liqueur
Rest shaker on hip, gyrate, drink. If you can still recall the love of your life is making you live on a bus, repeat.

It’s a wonderful book filled with humor, love and transformation. By the end of the journey, they still love each other, both have mellowed, and Doreen finds she can do without many of life’s “necessities” when she realizes she only wore 6 of the 100 pairs of shoes.

“Queen of the Road” is a fun, easy read, appropriate for both sexes. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

Jeni said...

Sounds to me like a really interesting piece of reading material. I'll have to mark it down and try to remember to look for it, as I am always looking for new books to enjoy.

Mary Witzl said...

Only ONE HUNDRED pairs of her favorites? (My husband thinks I like shoes and I've only got about 15 pairs, tops). And a handblown glass sink and granite countertops on a bus? Jeez...

I'm torn between morbid curiosity and a conviction that Doreen and I are so different I couldn't possibly sympathize. But you've written a good, succint review.

Chris Eldin said...

I really can't wait to read this!!!

And I love the shoe competition going on here!!!
;-)

Mary, from what little (and I mean little) I know, I think I'm more like her husband, personality-wise. I think it will be a hilarious read!!

Tyhitia Green said...

I've heard of this book and I was surprised that two psychiatrists did this, but I was also amazed and happy that they allowed themselves to have an adventure.

Thanks for sharing your review, AW. I'll have to add this to my TBR pile. :*)

Liane Spicer said...

Sounds like the kind of book I'd enjoy. I'll take note of it.

Polly Kahl said...

My favorite part is her husband's cell phone ring nickname for her. Is that perfect or what?

Robin said...

Oh my God! I so want a Hurlatini! Doreen is the best!

WriterKat said...

It's a great book. Nice review! I just posted my review & author interview on my blog. Cheers to Doreen!

Maddy said...

I could just do with the right book.

Sounds like a few recipes for sucess.
Cheers