Friday, January 16, 2009

Hope!

Bleak and dire predictions, stock market crashing, massive debt and unemployment, savings wiped out and homes foreclosed. 2009 started out with a depressing thud.

In Seattle we had the snow from hell – happily downplayed by Mayor Snowpuff Marshmallow Man. Then ark inspiring rain fell to ruin lives and livelihoods.

Hope. Where’s the hope? Where’s the promise for a brighter future? Where’s the inspiration? Not a person – a sign of better things to come. In the media we only hear what’s wrong and how difficult and long it will be to repair. A little bit of hope – that’s all I ask.

Then yesterday, on a foggy day in Seattle, a bright ray of sunshine appeared on the Hudson River in New York. It illuminated the country and world and reminded us of all the reasons we have to hope.





On January 20th another ray will shine – this time as our new president is sworn in. Change won’t come immediately – but I have hope.





Pain under my shoulder blade that spread to my head creating shockwave headaches exacerbated by typing – my reason for not blogging much lately. With a new doctor, physical therapy and minimal drugs, things are improving daily. Other than that, my life is very pleasant and full of hope.

Are you well and happy? Do you have hope?

12 comments:

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I'm so sorry for the pain. I have carpal tunnel myself - so I know the pain from typing.

And yes - we all have hope and it is a beautiful thing!

Jeni said...

Yep, that rescue on the Hudson was sure a great thing, wasn't it? And sometimes, all we have left is hope -for whatever it is we need to keep going.
I'm not thinking of January 20th with the hope being a bringer of miracles and everything made right with a wave of the hand, snap of the fingers but I do think, finally, there is a glimmer of much better things to come in the future. Let's continue to hope so anyway.

Robin said...

Sorry you're not feeling well, Anti. That plane crash /plane rescue event was incredible. What a pilot! It's a real tribute to the human spirit. I hope Obama's run in the Whitehouse lives up to our hopes.

Liane Spicer said...

Yes I do, AW. It's fragile, but it's there.

Sorry about your pain, and happy to hear it's getting better.

Mary Witzl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain -- I know how awful chronic pain is, and how it gets you down. Here's hoping it goes away soon.

We heard about what happened on the Hudson River on Friday morning, just before we all left for work. It cheered all of us up -- the thought of the pilot going up and down the aisle of the plane, making sure everyone was okay. Another person's unselfish goodness always makes me proud to be human.

Travis Erwin said...

That is an amazing story. Also amazing is how all of you came together to provide support during my family's time of need. thank you for your brick donation and for being my friend. Here's hoping you are pain free very soon.

Polly Kahl said...

Yes, I have hope, and hope you do too. Very sorry about your pain. Pain is SO draining and discouraging. I hope you find an end to it or a way to cope with it soon.
The plane thing was incredible, and it was so wonderful reading some great news on the front page for a change. The pilot is going to be on one of the morning shows tomorrow, I think Good Morning America. The whole thing is so heartening.

Anonymous said...

I hope we all feel better in this new year! (And, Polly - it's the Today Show the pilot is going to be on tomorrow - already Tivo'd it.)

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anti--sorry for the huge gap in my visits--it's not you, it's me, and I don't mean that in the George Costanza way...it is me!!! I hope you're feeling better very soon. NOthing is worse than physical pain on the mental status. Thanks so much for always supporting my blog--that means the world. Hope? There is always hope.

Barrie said...

I am bursting with hope.

ORION said...

Yeah that about covers it. But like Tooloose said...you have to suffer for your art...

Chris Eldin said...

Hi AW!
Finally starting to settle in....
I didn't realize you were blogging again, but VERY happy about that! I missed you!
ANd I also HAD NO idea about the title of your post!!! I was channeling you....
:-)
Hope things go well for you.