Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Priorities and time, time time!

I’m overwhelmed right now. There are too many things nagging at me for attention and I don’t feel like I’m giving anything the quality time it needs.

I have 6 books in my to-be-read pile right now. I’m half way through Evermore by Lynn Viehl and really like it, but am having difficulty finding time to read it. Next up is Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison and I can’t wait to read it. I’m not one of those people who can read more than one book at a time, so lack of time to do this is very frustrating. I can’t go to a regular or an online bookstore right now even though there are many more books I want to buy because I don’t want to put myself even farther behind.

I started a new list of items that need to be accomplished around my house. Right now there are 22 things on it of varying size and difficulty – and cost.

I have several cross stitch projects to finish for a dear friend and need to have them done by next August. I’m not sure I’m going to make it and that makes me crazy. (I will probably make it, but it will still drive me crazy.)

I’m about ¾ of the way through my de-cluttering process and want to finish.

My body keeps falling apart piece by piece and the stress of the last couple of months with my dog Rosie, my sewer, my work environment and all the health issues is taking its toll.

I want to take a couple of online writing classes but don’t have the time right now. I don’t have time to write and I really want to write. I barely have time to blog on a regular basis and I love blogging. I especially love reading other blogs because there are some amazing people out there in blogland.

I’m incredibly busy at work and there are things going on that will cause some changes for others that will be surprising. It will be a good thing, but definitely unexpected. I’m one of only a couple of people who know about this. I hate secrets and yet I have to keep them and am very good at it.

I’m taking control and setting some priorities. This weekend I’m going to make a master list of all the things I want and need to do and decide where to start. I have too many balls in the air and need to complete some things so I can move on to others.

What do you do when you get overwhelmed?

13 comments:

ORION said...

Wow it sounds like you got a lot on your plate! I wish I was there so I could take you out for a drink and commiserate.
Um...I guess I'll just have to drink alone...but I'll think of you while I'm doing it...

Mary Witzl said...

I am frequently up to my neck in too many projects myself, but much of it is my own fault.

First of all, I get greedy at the library and take out far too many books. I can't read them all, then one of my kids comes along and wants me to read one of the books she has read and loved, and I feel bad when I have to say no. Then it's time to cook dinner, the wash needs to be hung out, our conservatory is leaking (all over my wash), and the cat has thrown up in the hallway or brought in a half-dead mouse. And our gutters are rotting and filled up with leaves, and the rain is dribbling down the side of the house -- and half of my library books are overdue.

Frankly, I suspect I'm really to blame here. I take on too much; I think I must secretly enjoy the drama of it all. Well, all except the half-dead mouse.

Bernita said...

I make lists!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I take a deep breath and curse, rant and rave for a few minutes. Then I feel better and organize everything I have to do. Cursing always makes me feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anti, you sound swamped. I think you're on the right track with making the list. For some reason, list-making is very helpful for me but it's the last thing I do...as though it takes me forever to realize I've reached the stage you're at right now. Just do as much stuff on your list as you can, but save some time for writing because not only is it your work, it seems as though it's a joy for too. You can't just do work work. Maybe go to a movie after you've done half your list or something. I know exactly what you're feeling though I wish I didn't! hang in there, thinking of you.

The Anti-Wife said...

Orion,
I'll crack open a beer tonight and hoist it towards Hawaii!

Mary,
Taking on too much! One of my biggest faults is an inability to say no to more things.

The Anti-Wife said...

Bernita,
Lists are my saviors. I have lists everywhere and update them frequently.

Ello,
Cursing can be very therapeutic.

Kathie,
Even if I only accomplish a few things on the list, the act of crossing them off makes me feel like I've really accomplished something. It's self-encouragement.

Merry Monteleone said...

What do I do? Depends on whether or not I actually get a chance to unwind - When I'm that overbooked - and yes, I do that to myself, too, it's the whole not saying no thing... What helps is getting a chance to light a few candles and meditate, pray, or relax for a few seconds. I make lists after that, after that initial panicky kind of, 'I'll never get all this done, ahhhhhhh!!!!' thing goes away a bit.

Most of the time, though, the kids are running amok and I just wing it best I can until they're in bed.

Blogging it out helps a bit, too.

The Anti-Wife said...

Merry,
Light a few candles? I was thinking more of just burning down the whole damned house. Now that's a fire I could meditate to.

Chris Eldin said...

Oh, I can't wait until you read John Elder's book. I'm almost finished, and will do a review on my blog when I'm done. I started reading "The Lovely Bones" and will say it's one of the best books I've ever read.
"Lottery" is going to be read very soon.
I know about the lists. I'm playing catch-up with a bunch of children's middle grade novels that I never read as a child. I want to read the award-winning ones to help my own writing. Another list. Bernita is right..

Anonymous said...

You need a vacation.

Anony-mouse sister of Anti-Wife

The Anti-Wife said...

Chris,
Catch-up is a game with which I'm way too familiar.

Anony-mouse Sister,
Be careful what you wish for!

Anonymous said...

You need a vacation. :)

Bring your needlepoint.

Since your niece is still an employee, I think we might be able to get you into the parks for free. She won't be there forever - she is doing her college applications now.

House project advice (as if you need it): prioritize in the following manner:

1. Major health hazards that are a threat to public health.

2. Health hazards that affect your own health.

3. Structural and major systems problems.

4. Stuff you have to use that just doesn't work.

5. Things that are embarrassing and can't be hidden.

6. Things that could be nicer and should be replaced to make the place look better.

7. Things that could be improved with cosmetic changes.

8. Stuff that is in closets that somebody might see.

9. Stuff that is hidden where nobody sees.

10. Thing you put away on a high shelf to deal with at some future date, and the future date has not yet arrived.

Make it a 10-year plan. :)
(Clearly I have not been taken in by the declutter cult that has taken over cable TV.)

Anony-mouse sister of Anti-wife.