Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Answer to Cyn's question

Cyn said: I want to know when you began writing and if your parents or friends, etc encouraged it?

Cyn,

I’ve been writing all my life, but nothing publishable. For years my life was so chaotic and unhappy I couldn’t finish anything. I wanted everything to have a happy ending, but since I never had one myself the writing was too hokey and unbelievable.

My family barely knew I existed. The only thing I ever got from them was amazement that I succeeded at anything. Fortunately, I was intelligent and street smart and able to thrive despite their disinterest. As for friends, I’ve always been a loner – never fully trusting anyone. It stems from my childhood. I’m a much better friend now and feel very fortunate to have many wonderful people in my life.

A year and a half ago I sat down and wrote my memoir. It took about a month to come up with 65,000 words. Parts are really good, but it’s not publishable. It was a great way to let go of my past demons and move forward.

Until now, writing has always been a way to release my emotions. That’s one of the reasons I took this class – to find a different focus.

I’ve had more encouragement from this community of bloggers than anyone else and am grateful for the feedback and support.



Any other questions? Anyone?

2 comments:

Precie said...

Ok, remember...you invited us to ask questions...

1) How did your final assignment go?

2) Is your Christmas tree still up? It's too cool.

3) How many times have you been to Disney World (or Disneyland)?

4) Now that the class is done, do you feel you've found a new focus or direction in your fiction writing?

WriterKat said...

You've obviously used your hard knocks well. I'm impressed by you getting 65,000 words down & I'm sure they will be compost for future projects. I'm glad that you've found a way to put it all together.