Saturday, May 12, 2007

Busted!

The tea is over. It was a smashing success and we raised a lot of money. However, I didn’t have time to do my magic to make my “homemade” brownies look homemade. I was in a hurry and didn’t get to the damned store on time. So, I just said to hell with it and took the German chocolate brownies (and they were unbelievably delicious) to the work party this morning in their original store containers – unembellished.

I plopped them on the counter and just pretended everything was fine. A couple of the women looked at me like I had 2 heads. How dare I bring store bought goodies for the tea - no matter how delicious they were!

Over the years – thanks to my family – I learned how to handle criticism, in mass quantities. So I just ignored them and started doing my part to help prepare for the tea. One of the other women, who is also single and has a life outside this organization, came up to me and said she wished she had the guts to bring store bought stuff and next time she would. Ah, a convert. Come over to the dark side my dear!

Then a couple of our newer members came in with purchased goods. Of course, they were given the benefit of the doubt. They were new after all. The seasoned veterans figured they could take the newbies aside later and set them straight. I noticed they already covered my containers with boxes of homemade stuff! Hmmmmm!

But then my friend, who just turned 75 and is like a mother to me, walked in and threw her store bought goodies on the counter. She proceeded to tell everyone in range – in a very loud voice because she wanted everyone to hear – that she is damned tired of baking, her husband is dying of cancer and at her age from now on she would only be baking when she felt like it – and today she didn’t feel like it! Woohoo!

So, I pulled my brownies out of the pile and loudly announced that this would be the norm for me from now on because I didn’t have time to bake. Oh the daggers from those beady little eyes of the baking class!

Anyway, the tea was wonderful, the company was great and thank God it’s over!

And, everyone LOVED my brownies!

No comments: