Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Dance Friday!

Woohoo! It’s Friday! Doing my happy dance!

Tomorrow I’m going to a high tea. In fact, I’m hosting a table. That means I have to bring a table cloth, dishes, teapot, serving crap and all the rest. I like these things because they only last for a couple of hours and it’s fun to visit with everyone. Plus it’s about the only time my good China ever sees the light of day.

However, some of the other women involved – other hostesses and the chairwomen of the event – are a little overzealous in their enthusiasm. I’m a really good cook, but I don’t tell anyone because then they expect me to cook for them and I only like cooking for people I choose to delight with my culinary talents.

We’ve been having these teas 2 times per year for several years now. These women assumed that since I was hosting a table I would be making goodies for the buffet. WRONG! You should have seen their faces when I said I would be happy to BUY something. Quel Horror! (or however you spell it) Listen, you can get some pretty nice and tasty treats at Costco or at the Top Foods bakery. Could I make those treats? Sure if I had enough wine and valium.

But I don’t want to make them. I work from 8 to 5 five days a week, have a house and yard to take care of, am an aspiring writer and enjoy having some down time occasionally. They have time to make all these goodies. I have the money to buy them.

Anyway, a couple of years ago the anvil dropped on my head and I realized that what they don’t know won’t hurt them. So now I go to the bakery and buy the goodies. Then I rewrap them to make them look homemade. Brownies are perfect for this. I get these extra gooey fabulous brownies that come in 2 inch squares, cut them into 1 inch squares, throw a tiny bit of flour on the bottom to make them look like they just came out of the pan, arrange them in a plastic container (with wax paper for that extra touch) then take them with me.

Everyone raves over my brownies and asks for the recipe. I always tell them it’s an old family recipe. I just don’t tell them which old family.

Anyway, pinkies out everyone! Cheers!

No comments: