Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Opinions!

People are really interesting. It seems that many people don’t take the time to really think about things before they voice their opinions – especially if it might require them to think outside the confines of their comfortable little boxes. Rather than consider material as a whole, they pick pieces they agree or disagree with and express their “learned” opinions. They take things out of context or their minds stop processing the minute they run into anything that challenges their conventional wisdom.

I’m not innocent in this. Sometimes I catch myself indulging in this narrow minded form of recreation. This is why when writing or blogging I always attempt to put my thoughts into a separate document and read through them a couple of times before I put them into the final form or post it on my blog or as a comment on another person’s blog. Also, I try to re-read the original post so I don’t make a nitwit of myself.

Life isn’t flat and black and white. It’s full of color and dimension. Everyone sees the world from their own perspective. Because they don’t agree with you doesn’t make the other person wrong.

My advice: before you express your opinions make sure you know what you’re talking about.

2 comments:

John Robison said...

I have had that same thought brought home to me with the recent sale of my book, Look Me in the Eye. I did not give much thought to what I wrote or said - it's just entertainment and passing time, I thought - until I began meeting the people who are interested in my book.

My story, about Asperger's and autism, is a really big deal to some people.

It's obvious that some people pay very close attention to what I say, and when I write a post on a blog, I never know how many people might read it, or when, or where.

As a result, I now understand that I (we) should think carefully before we write, and always do our best to express our true and best thoughts.

The Anti-Wife said...

Thanks for the comment John. When I read some of the comments people make on blogs, I often wonder how they can purport to be writers when they don't even read - at least not for comprehension.