Saturday, April 7, 2007

Are the holidays really over?

Current spam count = 430 (no “solution” yet)

Have you ever walked past something a hundred times before you noticed it? Today, I opened my front door to get the paper and when I looked up at the door I noticed that my "Season's Greetings" wreath is still hanging on the door. I have wreaths for every season. They're stupid and hokey, but I like them and it makes the neighbors think I'm actually friendly.

It's April. Tomorrow is Easter and my holiday wreath is still on my door. The damn hanger has bells on it, but I've heard them so many times I've stopped paying attention. It makes me wonder how many other things I'm not paying attention to. How many other things am I just walking by and missing. How banal is my existence that stuff can be so unimportant to me that I just don’t see it.

Today is a busy day. I’m taking the ferry over to the peninsula for a fun meeting with some friends. But when I come home, I’m going to take a really good look around and see what else I’m missing. I’m going to turn off all distractions – TV, radio, etc. – and walk through every room and look carefully at my life, because my home is representative of my life.

What am I missing? It’s time to clean out the cobwebs, both in my house and in my head.

No comments: