Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Riding the porcelain bus

I need sympathy. I'm home sick today – all by myself (well except for my two sleeping dogs). Poor, poor pitiful me!

There are so many viruses going around the Seattle area. Until now I've managed to avoid the worst of them, but today I think I've found the mother lode. My head aches, my body aches, I have a fever and - worst of all – I’m riding the porcelain bus.

Even without an alarm I rarely sleep past 7:30. But today I woke up at 10. I stumbled out of bed, drank some juice with some powdered stuff purported to boost my immune system, ate a banana and sat in my chaise lounge hoping the floor would be solid again next time I stepped on it.

Within 5 minutes my head was in the toilet and the juice, powder and banana were returning to daylight from the wrong hole. I don’t barf very often anymore. As I rested there with my forehead against the cool white enamel, I remembered when I was younger and wilder and the porcelain bus was frequently my friend. Some of those memories should be incorporated into my manuscript. Some should just stay buried.

But most of all, as I sat on the floor hugging the toilet, I was grateful that I thoroughly cleaned the bathroom last weekend.

I wonder if I’m psychic?

No comments: